Here is a really simple breathing exercise to help ‘let go’ of the past week and instantly reset your mind and body so you can start to maximise your rest and recovery for the week ahead.
Start by sitting comfortably preferably with some back support….
• Take a big deep breath in through your nose and exhale through your mouth.
• Repeat 15 times and try to make the ‘out breath’ longer than your ‘in breath’.
• At the end of your final out breath, take one more breath in and then try to squeeze every single muscle in your body for 10 seconds and then ‘let go’.
• Repeat 15 deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth, still focussing on making your ‘out breath’ longer than your ‘in breath’.
• At the end of your final ‘out breath’, pause for as long as this feels comfortable. Then bring your breath back to regular. If you have a yoga mat nearby you might want to spend a few minutes in ‘childs pose’ before you carry on with your day.
For really good read, I recommend highly ‘Breath’ by James Nestor, The New Science of a Lost Art.